Sunday, November 28, 2010

Parents go ahead and lie to your children, it's okay.

There have been a couple of commercials on TV lately that have really been bugging me, it involves parents knowingly lying to their children, and thinking it is okay. The first commercial is for Tide detergent. A daughter comes to her mom and asks if she had seen her green shirt. The commercial then cuts to the mom's memory as she remembers having borrowed her daughter's shirt for a night out with her friends. During the night out, she spilled something on the shirt and now she does not want her daughter to know that she borrowed her shirt without asking. The mom responds to her daughter that the shirt in question is not her style, insinuating that she would not wear that shirt. There is the first lie! Next, the mom finds the shirt and washes it with Tide. Later, the daughter finds the shirt and the mom asks about it. The daughter indicates that it must have been hiding in her closet. The mom does not say anything and lets her daughter walk out the door with this impression. There is the second lie!

The other offending commercial is from McDonalds. A young couple is driving to McDonalds and their daughter asks where breakfast comes from. The mom instead of giving a legitimate answer spins a tale about giants and wizards in the land of breakfast that magically make this food. Once again, another direct lie! When the mom is done with this fantasy story, the daughter then asks, "Where do I come from?" The commercial ends showing the mom with a worried look of what to say next.

What a bunch of bullshit! These commercials are portraying parents lying to their children and thinking that it is okay. It really just leaves a bad taste in my mouth watching these commercials that advocate parents purposely lying to their children. Every time I see the McDonalds commercial at the end, I always think, "What fantasy story are you going to come up with now that explains where children come from?" Instead of making up a bullshit story, the mom could have answered the question about breakfast truthfully, explaining to her daughter the way food is really grown / raised and delivered to food places for purchase. She could also explain how a baby is grown inside of a mother's body without getting into graphic details. Would not this be a more responsible way to answer her child's questions? The Tide commercial just sickens me because a mother is setting a bad example of borrowing something that does not belong to her and lying about not using it.

So what do you think? Am I off base here? Maybe I just have this weird idea of parents being honest with their children. It just seems irresponsible to me to see commercials that show parents actively lying to their children and thinking it okay.

5 comments:

  1. I think most commercials are nothing short of inane. The Tide one really bothers one of my friends for all the reasons you mentioned. It doesn't bother me so much -- maybe because I see it as being about a mother having her own life (which many mothers don't) and needing to hide it from her typically selfish children. But yeah, I get what you're saying.

    The commercials I really really hate: "Oh! He went to Jared!" and "Every kiss begins with Kay." Really? A man has to give his wife/girlfriend diamonds to prove his love? What a crock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fantasy and deception are what bother me most about these commercials. I guess I tend to notice that a little bit more now since I left the LDS Church. After discovering the deceptions portrayed about polygamy and the fantasy stories of angels with swords, I do not like watching commercials that promote parents lying to their children. My parents have never lied to me; I have always felt like they are honest in dealing with me. It is just unfortunate that the church has been deceptive entity in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get what you're saying, Bowie. Nothing offends me more than someone who lies to me. It causes a rift in the relationship -- whether personal or professional -- that is sometimes irreparable. It's impossible for me to not define that person as "someone who lies" after the lie, and it effects the way I deal with him/her forever after. Not that I can't forgive, but an exposed lie provides a disturbing peek into a soul.

    The fact that LDS Inc. engaged and continues to engage in the systematic deception of its members (and anyone else they can reach) is unforgivable. When I discovered their long-standing policy of lying by omission, all they saw of me after that was my middle finger waving in my dust. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am too honest with my kids. They get mad. Like recently when my daughter asked what a diaphragm was and I told her (the birth control, not the body part)... haha. I hate dishonesty and or secrecy of any kind. Knowledge is power and I think everyone should have some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, McDonald's has no interest in the truth about how our food gets to us. If we all knew THAT, we'd have way more sensible and sustainable agriculture. But that's a whole different rant. (I have gobs of them...) Point taken, though.

    ReplyDelete