Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Long Lost Girlfriend

The other day at work, I was listening to the Pet Shop Boys and it reminded me of an old girlfriend that I had in high school. When I was in high school, I was not one of those guys that had a girlfriend all the time. I wanted a girlfriend, but it seemed like I could not get them to be interested in me. I think I was too boring and unnoticeable, but at the end of my junior year, I received interest from a girl that I never would have expected, her name was Cherie.

In my junior year, I took a Spanish class and this girl Cherie was in my class, she was a senior. She was cute and usually had the guys around her always talking to her. She was not the most popular girl in school, but she definitely got noticed. I said hi a few times, but we never had much interaction other than just small talk. If I remember right, I may have danced with her a couple of times at the school dances.

Well, along comes the end of the year and yearbook signings. We have all done this and get the usual “stay cool during the summer and see ya next year!” As I was walking around getting people to sign my yearbook, I saw Cherie and approached her. I signed her yearbook and I cannot really remember what I said, probably just the usual stuff like everyone else. When she handed my yearbook back to me, I thanked her and walked away turning to the page that she signed curious as to what she said. What she wrote completely blew me away. Here is what she said, “You are the Hottest Dancer at Taylorsville I have ever seen! What a Stud! Call me this summer and we’ll go dancing at Xenon! It is an honor to know you! Sincerely, Cherie.”

I was completely surprised! I had never noticed that she was interested in me. Well, I could not let an opportunity like this pass me by so after the school year ended, I found her number and gave her a call. We did go dancing at Xenon and had a great time. When I dropped her off, she even let me give her a kiss goodbye. I could not believe my luck and how well this was going.

We started going out during the summer and had some fun times. She was the first girl that I ever really had a “make-out” session with. You know, the classic going to the drive-in movie, but you never actually watch the movie because you are too busy making out with your girlfriend. I learned a lot on these dates.

One thing that was cool about her is that she liked my taste in music. She appreciated the fact that I was into the New Wave music of the 80s. I even had my big cassette tape box that she enjoyed perusing. The Pet Shop Boys had a song called Heart that kind of summed up how I felt about her with lyrics such as, “Every time I see you something happens to me. Like a chain reaction between you and me. My heart starts missing a beat. My heart starts missing a beat. Every time!”

My friend and I snuck over to her house and decorated her car for her birthday. I had streamers all over her car, it looked pretty good. The next day, I could not wait to hear how everything went. As I came home from work, my parents asked me to get something from my room. I went down to my room and turned on the light; Cherie jumped out of my bed and scared me half to death. We had a good laugh as she told me that she was running late for work and had to drive to work with the streamers still attached to her car. Funny times indeed.

As I started my senior year, Cherie informed me that she and her family were moving to Washington. This definitely bummed me out because I was enjoying our relationship for the few months that we had. Before I really had a chance to say goodbye, she was gone and just like that, my first real girlfriend was out of my life. I have never seen her since.

Even now as an adult, I still reminisce about that relationship, she really left an impression on me. It was a fun time with new experiences that involved a girl in my life. I still wonder where she is today. I have done searches on the Internet trying to see if I can track her down, but to no avail. I think the reason why is because our relationship ended so abruptly and seemed a bit unresolved. It would be nice to know that she is doing well today.

Ah, lost love.

3 comments:

  1. Young love can be so lovely, before life and responsibilities make relationships harder work ;)

    T and I tend not to share these types of stories w/each other, it's nice to know that the other one loved and was loved but the details are more than we care to know. So I find it interesting when other people are happy to share quite a bit of info w/their partners (and the world) seriously I'm not bagging you here at all, I just prefer not knowing (about my partners exes that is). I don't feel a need to seek out old boyfriends, for me, I'd prefer to keep the past in the past. I've seen too many friends dealing w/exes around and it's not always pretty, even when everyone involved is a 'nice' person. Not that it can't work, I'm sure many people are mature enough to all be friends. I guess some people feel green easier, I dunno. Whatever works for you. T and I seem to be on the same page though, we notice the same reaction from each other when one of us starts talking about an ex :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, I can see your point. For me, I don't really have any ex-girlfriends. This girl was a short relationship that I had when I was a junior in high school that ended so quickly. I had a few other girlfriends afterwards, but before I knew it, I went on my mission. Once I got back, I met Blondie shortly after getting home and it has been her ever since. I guess it is just fun to reminisce about the first real girlfriend I had.

    ReplyDelete