Monday, June 28, 2010

Who is God and what is He (or She) like?

Okay, time to get rhetorical. I have been thinking of some aspects about God that just seem weird to me. Have you ever heard the term “God fearing”? Here is an example, “I respect Bro. Johnson because he is a God fearing man.” “The United States is great because it is a God fearing country.”

So here is my question. Why is it good to fear God? I can certainly see why some people do fear God when various stories in the Bible show God as a jealous or vengeful God. Fearing God is even in the Ten Commandments with “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” So right from the get-go we have a fear of God instilled into us, but why? Why does God want us to fear him? Is respect or love not good enough?

Joseph Smith’s version of God even gets personal. God, in the words of Joseph Smith, personally threatens Emma Smith with destruction if she does not follow Joseph Smith and his teachings of polygamy. Even though the practice of polygamy is repulsive to everyone, Joseph Smith’s God will not accept any other way. Why would we want to follow a God like that?

I am currently in Leesville, LA and as I drove here from the airport, I drove by so many churches that I could not count them all. They were mostly Pentecostal and Southern Baptist churches. Of course, they all have their various signs out front to get your attention. One in particular caught my eye, it said, “We were created to glorify God.” Is God really so egotistical that he created us for the sole reason that we could turn around and worship him? What’s the point? Does He get some sort of satisfaction from having an entire world full of people worshiping Him, hoping that He will bless them?

The more that I think about the Mormon Church’s Plan of Salvation, the more that I think it is a setup for failure. Here is how the plan goes. God created all of us as spirit children and decided that we needed to gain bodies and experience. He created an earth and gave us the opportunity to choose if we wanted to go there. Well of course, once we come to earth, we become sinful and need redemption from our sins if we want to live with God the Father and Jesus Christ again. So, God sent his Son, Jesus Christ to atone for our sins. Here’s the catch though. According to the Mormon Church, Christ’s atonement is not good enough to return to live with God and Christ. We have to choose the “correct” gospel and church to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. So if we do not choose that, then we are screwed. Basically, God is telling us that since we did not choose correctly, He does not want anything to do with us again. That does not seem very loving or understanding to me.

If my son or daughter make wrong decisions or choose a life differently than I would prefer, will I turn them away and never see them again? The answer is a resounding NO! How is it that I can have more love for my children than the Christian God can for His children? Is God really that willing to turn away his children just because they did not listen to His “prophet”? The idea of prophets really bothers me. I prefer to make my own decisions in my life instead of having them dictated to me.

So I will end with this. Who is God and what is He (or She) like? The Christian idea of God just does not sound right to me. What do you think about God?

3 comments:

  1. This is something I’ve thought about a lot in the last year as I’ve tried to figure out what I believe. What has really stood out to me over that time is how so many people are certain that they know God and what He wants for them. They speak as though He actually came to their house, sat on their couch and told them point blank “this is what I want you to do”. For the longest time I thought that I must not be very in tune with the spirit because I never had any impressions like that. When I made important decisions I weighed the pros and cons and thought of reasons why a decision was good or bad. After considering all the information, I made a decision based on logic. And, I have to say that I don’t think I’ve made any bad decisions that way; at least not when it comes to really important things.

    So now when I hear someone say God wants this or God said that I say BULL SHIT! You think God wants this because you “felt” a certain way about it. Or, you are assuming that the leaders of your church are telling the truth when they say they speak for God, but I don’t buy any of it anymore. I think God is whoever people make him/her out to be in order to fill a need they have in their lives, and that's sad to me; to not be able to trust yourself enough to make important decisions without having to pray to be told what to do. Personally, a belief in God has never done anything for me but make me feel bad about myself. Now that I don’t believe in a “God” I can just live my life the way that makes me and those around me happy, and it feels great. I don’t need to fear God to be a good person; I do it because it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not worship a being that will punish me for not worshiping him/her/it. The Mormom god (and CK) sounds horrid to me right now. I don't know if there is something out there, but it isn't the deity I was conditioned to believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my thoughts is that god being "perfect" and knowing everything should have been able to make perfect people. Why would he make imperfect people? If he wants us all to be like him why did he not make us like that right from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete