Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wild Bill and the underwear scandal

Just after 2 am this morning, I received a phone call from one of my work friends (we’ll call him Wild Bill, not his real name, and not necessarily a wild guy, but you get the idea), he was feeling pretty sick. One of my first thoughts was, "I hope he doesn't ask me to perform a priesthood blessing." Years of religious teachings are hard to get away from.

Shortly after this call, I answered my door and he was not looking too good. He needed the keys to the car so he could go to the hospital. I asked if he wanted me to go with him, but he said he could drive himself. I programmed my GPS for the nearest hospital and handed it to him and wished him luck. As I closed the door, I turned only to notice that I had forgotten to give him the keys to the car. I grabbed them and opened the door; unfortunately, Wild Bill had already rounded the corner of the hallway. I called for him and as he came back around the corner, I heard the door to my hotel room shut and lock behind me with me standing in the hallway in nothing but my t-shirt and underwear. That was just great; let me tell you how I got to this point.

I first met Wild Bill just a few months back this year. He was a new hire and had come out on one of our installs. One of my other buddies and I went to dinner with Wild Bill and I soon found out that I liked this guy. Well, as we all know, I am in the process of leaving the Mormon (LDS) church. Wild Bill is a very strong member and is quite happy in the church; an interesting dynamic for sure. Since our first meeting, we have seen each other in the office and had some fun conversations. One of these included his participating in a church disciplinary council. He is the Executive Secretary of the bishopric in his ward and they asked him to attend. I think he took notes or something. It was very interesting to see his perspective of how everything was handled for the guy that the disciplinary council was for.

Anyway, just last week, Wild Bill and I ended up on another install together. It was a large install with many installers, but I was pretty sure that Wild Bill and I could end up having dinner together. As it turned out, we were able to have dinner on our own; yep, just a cute man couple out on a date. We had a great conversation and got to know each other better. I ordered a beer while we were there; I think I was mostly curious as to what his reaction might be. As it turned out, he did not react at all.

After hearing each others’ stories about how we met and married our wives, our conversation got much more interesting. He asked me about how I had got to where I was with the church and all. I thought to myself, “Well, this is going to be interesting to see how this turns out.” I told him my story about my parents, my dad’s conversion, and how I was raised in the church. I told him about my questions and finding the answers I was looking for. I was careful with the details of the church information because I did not want to offend him.

After I told him my story, I asked him what he thought. He said that he was fine and still wanted to be my friend. He also said that he has other friends that are in situations similar to mine and he is not here to judge. I found it very refreshing to have a devoted member of the church willing to accept me as a friend even though I am considered an apostate. I really like this guy.

Well, back to me standing in the hallway in just my underwear. Wild Bill asked, “Did you just get locked out of your room?” I said, “Yep, I sure did.” Well, I had no choice but to walk down from the second floor to the hotel desk on the first floor. Fortunately, since it was 2 am in the morning, no one was out and about. I went up to the desk and asked the desk guy for a room key. He asked me a few questions about who I was and what room I was in. He then asked, “Do you have any ID on you?” I looked at him in disbelief, “Uh, no.” Wild Bill was still with me and vouched for who I was. Well, after all that, I wished him well on his way to the hospital and I walked back to my room and went sleep again.

Sadly for Wild Bill, he is still not feeling too well today. He may end up going home tomorrow. I hope he gets to feeling better. The hospital said he might have some strong allergies or something. He is just having trouble breathing and getting energy.

You know, there is nothing quite like getting locked out of your room in nothing but your underwear. You have to suck up your pride and make the walk. Ha ha, good times.

3 comments:

  1. It could have been worse - you could have been wearing garments. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I could have been wearing those, but fortunately, I stopped wearing garments over a year ago. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I think I would have died right there if I got locked out of my room in my underwear. Glad it was you and not me:) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete