Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Road biking lunacy

Okay, I need to bitch for a moment. Let me preface this by saying that Blondie and I are avid bike riders. We focus mainly on mountain biking since we feel it is a little safer than road biking, but we did pick up road bikes a couple of years ago and we do some road biking also.

Now, onto the matter at hand. As I was driving home this evening, I turned onto a narrow two-lane road that had a fair amount of traffic on it. Two road cyclists were up ahead and I was noticing that the vehicles had to swerve a large distance out and away from the cyclists. As I approached them, I noticed that instead of riding single file and giving room to the vehicles, they were riding side by side and chatting with each other! What the hell!?

Why do road cyclists do things like this? All too often, I have witnessed or heard about cyclists acting like they own the road, and we wonder why we hear about cyclists getting hit by cars. When Blondie and I go road riding, we always try to pick a route with less traffic and we always ride single file. The only time that we ride side by side is when we are on a lonely country road with no traffic at all. I don’t understand why cyclists feel like they can do these things and then complain that vehicles don’t give them enough space or right of way. Please be more careful when riding your bikes on the road and for safety’s sake, wear a helmet.

Alright, all done with my rant.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that!! I'm always concerned that a motorist, upset by an experience like yours will decide to take it out on the next cyclist they see, and it'll just happen to be me... Sticking as close to the side of the road as possible and trying to obey all traffic regulations.

    ReplyDelete