Well, I have been challenged by C.L. Hanson to come up with a 10 favorite things list. I will see what I can put together. These items are not in any particular order of more favorite or less favorite.
1. As with everyone else, my top favorite item is my family. My wife, son, and daughter just do it for me. I love being home with them. Life is just more fun when you can be with your family doing fun things.
2. Mountain biking. Blondie and I have enjoyed mountain biking for quite a few years now. My school is now finished and I am hoping to travel less, which I am hoping will lead us back to biking like we used to, almost every weekend.
3. Trains. I do not quite geek out about trains like some other train nerds, but I do enjoy them. I have photographed many trains; one of my favorite subjects. Recently, my son started getting into model trains. I have had some great times with him as we run his trains around his layout and just enjoy each other’s company. Yeah, trains are cool.
4. Photography. I have enjoyed taking pictures ever since high school. I took a 35 mm SLR camera on my mission and loved it. My camera was completely manual, which meant I learned a lot since it was completely up to me to take a good picture. Today, I have an awesome Nikon D300 DSLR, which is one of the big digital cameras that do everything. Even with all that, I still struggle with my confidence in taking a good picture. Gotta keep at it.
5. Punk Rock. Thanks to the Punk Rock movement of the 70s, we now have some kick ass music today. The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, and The Ramones along with other bands led the way in changing music forever. No longer did we have to listen to shitty Top 40 music, a band could get on stage with a big Fuck You! and play the music they wanted to play. I support that.
6. My favorite bands. In relation to #5, here is a list of some of my favorite bands. David Bowie, The Cure, Muse, Blue October, Green Day, Blink 182, Angels and Airwaves, Oingo Boingo, Depeche Mode, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Adam and the Ants, Morrissey, Garbage, Love and Rockets. There are many more, but you get the idea. Just for good measure, Country music can kiss my ass! Country music is popular because it appeals to the lowest common denominator. (Probably just lost some readers with that statement.)
7. Cool cars. I would not consider myself a car guy or gear head, but I do enjoy nice cars. I had the recent opportunity to take a 2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 out for a drive. This was an absolute amazing driving experience. I also like the Aston Martin DBS; that car is pure pornography. The Audi S5 is another cool car with beautiful styling. One of these days, I will have a nice car.
8. Computers and the Internet. I have basically focused my entire working career into the Information Technology arena, so I would consider it one my favorite things. The Internet is just cool. I can find out anything I want just by doing a search; no need to go to the library and search through books. Instead of praying and hoping for a spiritual answer, I can just pray to Google. I get all of my answers there now.
9. Mountains. I live in Utah for a reason, the landscape. I love being surrounded by mountains. Blondie and I will head up a trail and just play in the mountains either on a hike or riding our bikes. I get really bored in flat country; I need variety.
10. Cool haircuts. I really do not like boring hair. I am 39 years old with the sides and back of my head shorn very short. The top of my head has spikey hair that stands straight up. There is a reason why I call myself That Guy with the Hair. I stand out and people definitely notice me. I also like seeing unique hairstyles on other people. I love seeing a girl that has red, blue, or purple hair with a unique cut. The guy with the mohawk? That is just kick ass. Yes, I like cool hair.
Well I guess that does it. A fun challenge indeed. Since I do not have many readers, I will just encourage whoever wants to make their own list.