Friday, May 21, 2010

Garbage, Not My Idea

For those people that know me and for those that are getting to know me on Facebook, I do not post the standard status updates on Facebook. How many times can we see that someone likes or dislikes the weather? Your kid smiled at you today? Well that is just great. I like to do things a little differently by using lyrics from songs quite often, although, I will post a regular status update in the mix also.

Last Sunday, I had to work a 12-hour day for my job out at a client’s location. It was long, a bit frustrating, and I was definitely ready for it to end. As a Facebook status, I posted lyrics from the song Not My Idea by Garbage. Some of you may not know who Garbage is. They are an alternative band that produced some great music during the 90s. They are still around, but are not as popular anymore.

Anyway, here are the lyrics that I posted on Facebook…

I bit my tongue and stood in line
with not much to believe in.
I bought into what I was sold
and ended up with nothing.

This is not my idea of a good time.
This is not my idea of a good time.
This is not my idea of a good time.
This is not my idea!

The funny thing is that I believe many people that know about me and my leaving the church thought that this was about church. My sister in law’s husband even posted a question wondering what I had bought into and got nothing. My sister in law is one of the family members that have joined Blondie and me in our disbelief in the church. Her husband still believes, so I think he wanted to see what I would say. I responded about my 12-hour day and everyone had a chuckle.

My sister in law had posted a comment of “Too fitting”; from her response, it looked like she thought I was talking about the church. I sent her a personal message indicating my suspicion and she replied that she did think that I was talking about the church. She was happy that I indicated that it was about work since it bothered her husband.

Well, with all of that aside, this song is a very appropriate song that can be viewed as a statement about how I feel about the church. Here are the lyrics to the entire song…

I bit my tongue and stood in line
With not much to believe in
I bought into what I was sold
And ended up with nothing

This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea

You thought that I would never see
What was meant for you was meant for me
I was distracted at the time
Forget about yours now what about mine

This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea

You thought I was a little girl
You thought I was a little mouse
You thought you'd take me by surprise
Now I'm here burning down your house

This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea.


So, for anyone that can relate to this song, this can be a new anthem for you. Listen to the song and these lyrics will really start to stick in your head. Now that I mention it, many Garbage songs have some cool lyrics. I think I’ll be posting a few of their songs here.

This is a really cool video created by a fan on YouTube.


Now I’m here burning down your house!
This is not my idea of a good time
This is not my idea!

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed a lot of paranoia on facebook, I'm guilty of it myself. You know, what that does for me though is it helps me to practice not caring what others think of me. I've always been such a people pleaser and with facebook there are plenty of times when peoples intent and tone is unclear and I just have to wade through the uncertainty and be happy with me and really willing to say.. "this is me, if you don't like it then that's just fine".

    I have really learned a lot over the last 6 months about what constitutes a real friend and I have to tell you I was surprised many times. Just one example is someone who I had kind of disliked growing up because I thought she was snobby and mean actually turned out to be really kind and understanding about my decision to leave the church whereas another friend who had been gushing to me about how much she had missed me while she was on holiday, read my decision about the church and flipped out, she ended up telling me to never contact her again and she unfriended me! Ha! well goodbye to false friends!

    There are other stories but that one was just classic. The two friends I described are related by marriage too and the dynamic between the 3 of us has changed dramatically.

    Sheesh I can jabber on. Anyway, great song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny how every little action is interpreted as being a product of ones apostasy. Don't TBMs realize that when they make comments like they reveal a lot about how judgmental they are? Oh, I forgot momentarily... They do belong to the true church...

    Awesome song.

    ReplyDelete