Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why do I remain anonymous?

I have found that using the name of That guy with the hair is a cumbersome name for others to refer to me. I am a David Bowie fan, I have used his lyrics on my blog, so I have decided to use the nickname of Bowie. aka That guy with the hair.

So who am I? Well unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable in sharing my true identity on my blog. Call me a wuss if you want. Let me explain why.

I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. I have lived most of my life there. I was raised as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Mormons. My parents are very strong members and I have been a true believer all my life. I went on a mission to Massachusetts and also married my wife in the Salt Lake Temple.

My wife and I have been dedicated to the Church all our lives. Only recently have we found information that has become very troubling to us. We have found our blogs very therapeutic in expressing our feelings about the changes in our lives.

Do I like the idea that the church I believed in my entire life has turned out not to be everything that I thought it was? No, not really. Instead of having truths easily delivered to me without having to think much about it, I now have to figure things out for myself. There are pros and cons to this, but I prefer choosing for myself how to live my life instead of having it dictated to me.

Since the Church prohibits any member from making negative comments about its leaders or condemning any Church practices in a public forum, I prefer to remain anonymous in order to avoid the repercussions. Recently, I have been a little tough on the Church. I think I'll lighten up a little for now, but sometimes it seems too easy to get upset about various things that happen in the Church.

My new friend Maureen from Australia has had a tough time for the last little while. Maureen, I just want to let you know that you are not alone. There are many members of the Church going through the same thing that you are going through. I am happy that I found your blog and can now offer support. I feel like we have common objections to Church history and policy. You have gone a step further than I by having your name removed; something very difficult to do. I have still felt hesitant to do this since many emotions and family members would be affected. Stay strong; my wife and I are here as your friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Bowie, great name! Thanks for the support. This growing online community for Mormon de-conversion is very helpful.

    I had been considering removing my name from church records for a little while and then I got a letter calling me in for a disciplinary council. The letter accused me of apostasy. It would have been in response to my blog. This got me moving a little faster. I preferred to leave on my own terms than be excommunicated. (My DH however is a bit if a stirrer and is waiting for them to ex him!)

    As for anonymity online, I think that it is a very good idea, especially when you are trying to sort through some very difficult things that some people would be offended by. At first I was concerned about being too open but I kind of bungled through that and everyone knows now (parents, bishop etc) so I'm ok to have my name there now. In retrospect I think I would have got more out of the experience if I had started off anonymous and remained so for a while.

    ReplyDelete