Saturday, April 24, 2010

Public Image Ltd. (PiL)


Last night, Blondie and I went to see Public Image Ltd. aka PiL. Let’s talk a little about who this band is. Remember that punk band way back in the 70s called The Sex Pistols? The lead singer of that band was Johnny Rotten. Johnny Rotten’s real name is John Lydon and when The Sex Pistols imploded in 1977, John Lydon formed his new band Public Image Ltd. in 1978. PiL was popular in the New Wave/Alternative music of the 80s.

PiL stopped performing back in the early 90s. Well, after an 18-year hiatus, they have decided to start touring again. Since I have never seen them live, I really wanted to go. It was a fun show, John Lydon is 57, but he still puts on a fun show. We had a great time watching them; Blondie and I had some drinks and fun was had by all.

I use the moniker of That guy with the hair, but John Lydon is definitely that guy. My hairstyle is similar, but his hair is what I would do if the corporate world would allow it.


My favorite song from them is Rise. Here is a link to their music video from the 80s.

PiL Rise

Here are the lyrics. I find them very meaningful. “I could be wrong, I could be right. I could be black, I could be white.” Then the perfect chant at the end of the song, “Anger is an energy!”

I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be black I could be white
I could be black I could be white
I could be white I could be black

Your time has come your second skin
The cost so high the gain so low
Walk through the valley
The written word is a lie

May the road rise with you
May the road rise with you
May the road rise with you

I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be black I could be white
I could be right I could be wrong
I could be black I could be white

They put a hot wire to my head
Cos of the things I did and said
And made these feelings go away
Model citizen in every way

Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy

I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be black I could be white
I could be right I could be wrong
I could be black I could be white

Your time has come your second skin
Cost so high the gain so low
Walk through the valley
The written word is a lie

I could be wrong I could be right
Could be wrong -
They put a hot wire to my head
Cos of the things I did and said
A model citizen in every way
Your time has come your second skin
Cost so high the gain so low

Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy

I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be wrong I could be right
I could be black I could be white
I could be right I could be wrong
I could be black I could be white

Your time has come your second skin
Cost so high the gain so low
Walk through the valley
The written word is a lie

I could be wrong I could be right
Could be wrong -
The put a hot wire to my head
Cos of the things I did and said
A model citizen in every way
Your time has come your second skin
Cost so high the gain so low

Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment