Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My parents left

Well last Saturday, my parents moved to another state. My dad's health has really been bothering him while living in Utah. The higher elevation and cold winters have really taken a toll on him lately. About a month ago, they took a vacation trip to one of the warmer states and while they were there, they found a house and decided that they wanted to live there.

Since they came back, they have been focused on getting ready to move. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, our relationship was not in the best of shape because of our earlier encounter. We met with them and smoothed things over as good as I can hope for now.

I came over the day before they were going to leave to help them pack the truck. I moved about five boxes into the truck and then they decided that they just wanted to visit. They had more people coming to help them move the next day. It was a nice visit. We talked about family, work, school, etc. No mention of the church was brought up. I gave them both a big hug and left.

It is still a little soon, but they are not close by anymore. My entire life, they have always been within driving distance, now they are not. I do not think it has quite sunk in for me just yet. I still wonder if part of the reason they moved away was because of me leaving the church and having a bad encounter with them about it. They told me that they are moving there for my dad's health, but I will alway wonder in the back of my mind if I might be part of the reason.

They called me the other day from their new home to let me know that they made it there okay. They are very happy to start a new life in the warmer climate. I think they are trying to make our relationship better; this makes me happy.

1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law wouldn't talk to me once she discovered my blog. She even called my husband pleading with him to stop me somehow! Don't worry, he explained what era we're living in.. and that even women get to speak their minds these days ;)

    I know it is so hard for her. When we have family get-togethers now she is friendly and tries her best. Before the blog she tried to talk to my kids about baptism and such, now she doesn't dare. I think the blog solidified things for her.

    I think our families are in shock, as are we, they'll get there.

    ReplyDelete